Wednesday, September 12, 2012


The Palmer Museum of Art

Portrait of J., C. 1959
Nathan Oliviera
1928-2010

 
WARNING: iPhone photo does not do the painting justice!!

This painting was created in the late 1950s.  The portrait does not seem to be specific to any event during the year it was created.  I think it can be related to any time period and is not specific to one person or lifestyle.  It seems to be more personal to the artist and feeling rather than an event.  However, it can still be making a social comment.  It could be commenting on life and depression.  It could also be commenting on darkness in our world that is all around us.

Sad, scared, depressed, creepy, and lonely were the emotions I felt from this painting.  A majority of the painting is black and dark while a small part has color.  The painting strokes and the detail also have a creepy aspect to them.  The brown, tan, white, and dark yellow face of the portrait adds texture with lumps and swirls that make it look scary.  This piece gave me a dark feeling, but I also found it beautiful.  The person in the portrait is not the dark and depressing part, it’s what is around the character.  This connects to my values because I think that everyone has been in that dark place like this painting.

Nathan Oliviera is an American painter, printmaker, and sculptor.  He attended the California College of the Arts and later taught art classes at several colleges.  In the 1950s he had many solo expeditions along with group expeditions in museums worldwide.  He has won many awards for his work showing his credibility.  His background, schooling, and career make him a very accomplished artist giving him all the ethos necessary.  

My interpretation of this painting is that it is a portrait of a person who is at a time of dark, sad feelings.  I think that it is showing how there can be a darkness upon us that is creepy and scary but it doesn’t change us.  The person in the painting may have a creepy texture to them, but it is only scary because of the dark background.  This piece may not be persuasive in way that changes your views, but it persuades you to think.  You can’t simply look at this painting and walk away knowing exactly what it is about.

The Palmer Museum of Art was a great experience! I enjoyed it a lot more that I thought I would.  I have not been to many art museums or galleries, but I think they are very interesting and cool.  I have always admired artists and their ability to create a scene or idea on a canvas, paper, or sculpture.  The detail is amazing and each piece was so unique!  I enjoy thinking about what the artist is trying to say through their piece and interpreting it for myself.  There were so many different styles, colors, and messages throughout the museum.  It made me wish I had some artistic talent, but I should never be given a paintbrush.  I will have to stick to viewing art, not making it.  For being my first time at the Palmer, I think I got a lot out of it.  I would definitely return to look at the art and admire the talent of the artists!

1 comment:

  1. Hey I love your blog , its so pretty ! I loved reading about the painting you chose , it seems like you really have an understanding of what the artist is feeling. Its colors match you blog colors haha I look forward to reading more posts from you !
    -Cara

    ReplyDelete