Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Arts/Cultural Response: Poetry Reading

Everyone thinks they can become a poet at some point in their life.  You feel that there is so much emotion inside you that when you put it on paper it will become an inspiring masterpiece.  After middle school assignments, valid attempts, and severe writers block, most of us discover that it is much harder than it seems.

Today I decided to hear what some true poetry is about.  I attended the Art of Poetry Series by our one and only teacher, Sheila Squillante, and her husband, Paul Bilger.  When I walked into the Palmer Museum of Art, I took a seat next to fellow students and other adults.  The feeling in the room was calm and I think everyone was anticipating the start.  

The series consisted of photographs that inspired poems.  Bilger held up the pictures while Squillante read her poems to the audience.  However there was a twist to it all.  The photos were originally completely different.  We did not get to see the original pictures, but it was still very interesting.  They poems were very abstract just like the photographs.  I enjoyed listening to the poetry because there is something so beautiful about not knowing exactly what is being said.  Most likely, what I heard was completely different to the person next to me.  There is a lot of room for emotions and interpretation.

This was my first ever poetry reading, and I really enjoyed it.  I didn't know what to expect, but I was pleased.  I have never really read poems on my own time, but I think they can be wonderful works of art.   I want to broaden my horizons and experience new things, and poetry can be a part of that.  I would like to go to more poetry readings and more art shows while I have so many opportunities to do so.  Thanks so much for the fun experience Sheila!

1 comment: