Wednesday, December 5, 2012


Art for My Heart


1. Self Evaluation

This Semester's class has been my favorite English course that I have ever taken.  I have learned many things about the arts here at Penn State and about general writing.  I have grown through all the learning I have done in this class.  I have discovered the importance of a title, analyzed advertisements, and learned about Penn State being ranked the #1 party school.  Through class discussions, homework readings, and outside cultural events, I have gained so much.

I  was born and raised here in State College.  I have always appreciated art, but never experienced it often.  This class has shown me that there is so much art going on around Penn State, you just need to look for it.  Even if it is something that I would never imagine myself going to, I decided that it can't hurt to go and you are usually pleasantly surprised.  I wish I could have attended more art events in the past, but I will make it a priority to continue exploring.  I have learned that I love paintings, poems, love letters, and more.  I loved going to the Palmer Museum of Art because each painting was so unique.  I enjoyed watching In the Red and Brown Water because it was different from anything I had ever seen.  This class has happily opened my eyes to art.  I have realized that it can be so powerful and make me feel the emotions of the artist.  Also, I now think about and notice how even little things can be considered art.  You can make an argument that practically everything is art in a special way.  There is the art of tailgating, partying, walking, proposing, breakups, facial expressions, eating, and everything in-between.  What I take away is that you should see everything as art, because it can be beautiful.  Earlier today, as I was browsing poems, I even texted a friend saying, "I feel so artsy."

Writing has never been one of my biggest strengths, but I enjoy doing it if the topic is something that I am interested in. This class has taught me a lot about writing and has improved my writing skills.  Through examining essays and other literary works, I have gained creativity and structure.  I have learned not to fill my essay with clichés and not to ramble using outrageous vocabulary.  I have discovered how important transition sentences are and that every essay needs to flow.  I have learned that small details can come together to form a whole that has one important theme.  I think that this class has strengthened my writing and will help me in the future.

Overall, this class has been an enjoyment and has caused me to grow.  I have learned that art is everywhere, writing should be creative, and that I wish I had some artist talent.  Though we can't all be skilled painters, musicians, or writers, anyone can appreciate it.  I would love to continue to be informed about art and cultural events going on around Penn State!  My improved writing and my new artistic views thank you.


2. Blog Responses



3. SRTE Evaluations

Hi, Ms. S. I finished my SRTEs! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment